History of Antique Lure Maker E. A. Pflueger
Ernest A. Pflueger is president of the Antique Lure Co. Enterprise
Manufacturing of Akron, the world's largest factory for the manufacture
of fishing tackle and equipment of all kinds. It is an industry illustrating the
wonderful possibilities of modern methods of manufacture. Mr. Pflueger, the
president of the company, at one time was pursuing the making of novelties as a
side line to his regular work. His home industry was the manufacture of rosettes
out of tin as ornaments for the harness of horses. later he made artificial
baits for fishermen, and while the business from time to time manufactured a
number of different novelties, in time the resources of the plant were
concentrated upon the making of fishing tackle, rods, flies, minnows and other
artificial bait, and particularly hooks, until this has become the largest plant
in the world for the manufacture of fish hooks, which are made to the number of
several hundred million every year.
Ernest A. Pflueger was born at Erie, Pennsylvania,
December 6, 1866, son of Ernest F. Pflueger and Julia (Dunnebeck) Pflueger. His
father was born in Germany in 1843, and as an orphan boy came to America with a
brother and sister and grew up in Buffalo, New York. He became a molder by
trade, and in 1868 established a home at Akron. He worked for the Erie Stove
Company, and subsequently was engaged in the retail grocery business until about
1880. He had been of an inventive turn of mind as a boy, and by 1880 had taken
out patents on over fifty of his original devices. In 1880 he engaged in
manufacturing, establishing the Enterprise Manufacturing Company for the making
of fishing tackle and similar lines. Ernest F. Pflueger died at Akron, November
18, 1890, and his wife passed away in 1905.
Their son, Ernest Andrew Pflueger, was reared in Akron,
attended public schools to the age of fourteen, and soon afterwards he began
adding his individual genius and work to the business of his father's factory.
In 1882 he became secretary and treasurer of the Enterprise Manufacturing
company, and for a number of years past has been president and treasurer of that
He is also a director of the First Trust and Savings
Bank, and president and of the Manufacturers' Association of Fishing Tackle of
the Untied States. He is a member of the executive committee of the Akron
Chamber of Commerce, a member of the Portage Country club, a director of the
Akron City Club, a member of the Portage Fish and Game Association, and of
Trinity Lutheran Church. He has always maintained a personal interest in the
sport which he has served through his manufacturing plant.
During the World war, he participated influentially in
supporting all war causes. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Royal Arch
Chapter, Council , Knights Templar Commandery. Scottish Rite Consistory and the
Mystic Shrine. Mr. Pflueger married in 1896 Miss Ruth Seiberling, youngest
daughter of J.F. Seiberling, and a sister of Frank A. and Charles W. Seiberling.
Four children were born to their marriage.
The son John S. is a graduate of Cornell University, was a
lieutenant in the Aviation Corps during the World war, and is now in the
insurance business at Akron. All the children bear the middle name Seiberling.
The second son, Theodore S., was educated in St. John's Military Academy at
Delafield, Wisconsin, in Cornell University, in Babson Institute, was in service
during the World war, and is now manager of the export department of the
Enterprise Manufacturing Company. William S. Pflueger was educated in St. John's
Academy and Dennison University, and is now credit manager of the Enterprise
Company. The youngest son, Robert S., is attending school at Middlebury,
Pflueger Antique Fishing Lure Resources
***History of Ohio
The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925
Volume III, page 347